Friday, February 27, 2009

Lunch at Grandma's


Thursday is our crazy never ending day. We are running around like crazy for hours on end going to various appointments and classes, these are the days when the drive-thru beckons. Since Lent started this week, I brown bagged it for us this past Thursday. What I made brought me back to my Grandma's kitchen and the sandwiches that she would serve me. I do not remember ever eating a sandwich there that did not have butter on it. My fondest memories are of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She would make me a PB&J and add butter, which unfortunately I still do not think a peanut butter and jelly tastes right unless the butter is added. Forget the calories, the fat, the cholesterol, and all the other things that we should stay away with for our health, something about the taste of a PB&J with butter reminds me of days from my childhood filled with love spending time with Grandma and Grandpa. In loving memory of my Grandmother, I share with you the joys of a ham and butter sandwich.


To make use two slices of white bread (Wonder is the best for this) and slather them generously with butter. Place a slice of cheese on one side and on the other pile as much ham as you would like (I recommend brown sugar ham). Put the sandwich together and slice diagonally. Serve with fruit, because no matter how unhealthy the sandwich would be, Grandma would always serve fruit with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment