Monday, January 19, 2009

Dinner and Wine

The past few days have been rather busy. Our best friend came down from Jersey to visit, but with having the two kids and some of the coldest weather of the year it was a little hard for all of us to get out together. Thankfully, we were able to enjoy some great food and wine. On Thursday, we enjoyed Moroccan Roasted chicken, with Moroccan flavored vegetables, and Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf Sides Moroccan Curry style. For those interested in trying out the chicken here where you can find the recipe: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/moroccan-roasted-chicken

Friday is our new fish night and while I am longing to try this recipe Lobster and Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing from Emeril Live in the Central American Flavors episode. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/lobster-and-hearts-of-palm-salad-with-avocado-buttermilk-dressing-recipe/index.html Instead we had some wild Alaskan salmon that I prepared by rubbing a 50/50 mix of salt and pepper into the flesh of the fish and letting it sit until in the fridge until you can no longer see any crystals from the salt or sugar on the fish. I then pan seared the fish. I severed this with garlic-mashed potatoes and a great salad that I have adapted from this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mediterranean-Salad-with-Prosciutto-and-Pomegranate-350411 I do not use fennel or mint leaves, but I personally do not think that this distracts from the flavor fullness of this great salad. We had this meal with some La Crema 2007 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay. The wine has a nice citrus and apple flavor with undertones of vanilla and caramel. While it is kept in oak barrels for seven months, fortunately the flavors from the wood do not come through.

Saturday was our Mexican night. I had picked up a 14 lbs. pork shoulder and used some to make pulled Carolina style BBQ pork. With the rest, I made pork carnitas. I only wish that Safeway were in VA as their Salsa Verde gives carnitas just the right flavor while cooking. I served the pork with rice, guacamole, and refried beans. We drank some Corona and some wine that did not pair with the food, but tasted great anyway. Kris Pinot Grigio is probably going to be one of my new favorite wines. The citrus and apricot flavors of this wine lead to a light, crisp, and fruity wine. I will definitely be buying some of this wine. I am envisioning a meal of fish and risotto to compliment the wine.

For a bit, it is going to be leftovers until all of the pork is gone. I am excited though because on Wednesday I am picking up some veal shanks to make osso bucco with. I am not sure, if that is going to be dinner on Thursday or if I am going to wait until Saturday so that I can give the meal my full attention. I hope that you enjoy your dinner tonight….

No comments:

Post a Comment