Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cassoulet Inspired Meal


I have some veal shanks that I was trying to decide what to do with. I know that cassoulet does not normally have veal shanks, but I figured I could play around some and make a great meal with them that would go with the goat cheese tart and salad that we are having tonight. So here is the recipe I hope that you like my version.



4 Veal Shanks, at least 1 inch think

1 tablespoon of butter

2 tablespoons of olive oil

Salt and Pepper

A few pinches of flour

1/2 large onion diced

2 carrots, peel and sliced about 1/4 inch thick

1 can of Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained

1 can of organic tomatoes, slightly drained

5 sprigs of thyme

3 gloved of garlic, peeled and smashed



In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil until just smoking, season shanks with salt and pepper and coat lightly with flour. Brown shanks in skillet on all sides. In a slow cooker add all other ingredients. Add browned shanks and cook on high for at least 4 hours. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment