Monday, January 3, 2011

Playing with My Food (not really just recipes)

I tried a great recipe for chicken cacciatore the other night. I played just a bit with it, but I have found that Giada knows her stuff. Check out the great recipe here.

I also was given a lovely gift from my neighbor, about 8 plus cups of lobster stock, I had no idea what to make and had narrowed it down to three different recipes, one for Lobster Risotto, Braised Salmon, and Lobster and Corn Chowder. I chose to go with the chowder as on a cold and rainy night what sounds better that some warm soup?

Here is how I modified the recipe.......
The ingredients called for in this recipe are
3 live hard-shell lobsters (1 1/4 pounds each) I did not need these as I had stock and bought some langostino meat to use instead of the lobster meat. This was cheaper and added the same flavor.


3 medium ears yellow or bi-color corn I used two cans of sweet corn instead

4 ounces slab (unsliced) bacon, rind removed and cut into 1/3-inch dice I just used 1 teaspoon of bacon fat instead. I have found that when bacon is used to this degree it can take over the flavors of the other ingredients

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 large onion (10 ounces) cut into 3/4-inch dices

2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped (1 teaspoon)

2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika

1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold, Prince Edward Island, or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice

1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or up to 2 cups if desired)

Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

I added 1/2 cup of diced celery, 1 teaspoon of sherry and 1 tablespoon of flour and used them to add flavor and get a thicker chowder. The sherry I added when the onions and celery where almost done cooking in the bacon fat and butter, I then added the flour and potatoes. I love the way this turned out and would make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment