Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July Breakfast



Happy 4th of July everyone. I hope everyone has plans to enjoy the holiday and eat some great food. This morning I treated the family to a red, white, and blue breakfast. Well I should amend that to a white and blue breakfast but I think that the juice from the blueberries can qualify as red. I made some lemon biscuits with a blueberry sauce. I think everyone enjoyed them as my husband had thirds, my son took seconds, and the baby even ate one. Here is the quick and easy recipe.




For Biscuits:


5 cups of instant pancake mix (see note)


1 1/2 cups of water


1/4 cup of milk


zest from two lemons




For Sauce:


2 cups of clean blueberries


1/2 cup of sugar


juice from 1 lemon




Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Using a non stick cooking spray, spray cookie sheets, using a tablespoon, spoon dough onto sheet making sure to leave some room between biscuits. Bake in the oven for 8 to 11 minutes. While biscuits are baking, in a medium saucepan cook blueberries, sugar and lemon until the blueberries release their juices, about 7 minutes. Take sauce off of the heat and place in a bowl to serve. When biscuits are done transfer to a large plate and serve with sauce and butter. Enjoy...




Note: Make an instant pancake mix or use something like Bisquick.


For instant pancake mix use Alton Brown's recipe that can be found on the Food Network website.




And now for a little preview of what is coming later...




1 comment:

  1. That grill is awesome. My family also uses one that size for the 4th of July. We have to haul it into the yard from my Uncle's bar with a pick up truck and a full side of beef only feeds that family 1 meal lol. Good to know we are not the only ones :)

    ReplyDelete